Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Best of Lists

Only five books made it on to my best of the year list for 2010.   Have I gotten really picky, or have I not picked the right books to read?

Best fiction of the year:

* The Last Jew, by Noah Gordon
* The Passage, by Justin Cronin
* Sabbath Queen, by Shlomi Harif

(This last one requires a footnote:  I've read several of Harif's short stories, a proof edition of one of his novels, and a draft edition of another.   Pretty much everything he writes is worth reading, most of it is fantastic.  Unfortunately, though, you'll have to wait a bit to read his work because he's not yet published much of it.  Keep looking though.)
Best non-fiction of the year:

* The Essence of Buddhism, by Traleg Kyabgon
* Arguing with Idiots, by Glenn Beck (yes, I'm surprised to find this on my list also!)
 
The 2010 year-end numbers are in and I've picked up the pace over 2009 with 123 books read, 59 non-fiction and 64 fiction.    In the non-fiction area, I read 13 business books, 10 conservation -related books, and 10 woodworking or home project books.   How does the distribution of fiction and non-fiction reading look over a four year horizon?   Looks like non-fiction is catching up!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Hahaha Dad! I love that you graphed your reading for the year (well, past four years...).