Friday, January 22, 2010

Daemon, by Daniel Suarez

I do one of two things on airplanes: read magazines or read books. For the latter, this one was just perfect -- it completely fit within my flight and kept my interest.

The story line: a multi-player online game developer distributes a program across the internet to affect people's actions after his death from brain cancer. Key characters include the bold but unfortunate police officer, the brilliant NSA scientist, two genius hackers, one evil and one good (but with a checkered past), and a mysterious and possibly naughty government agent / assassin. Stir ingredients, but don't over mix them, and saute on low heat for 617 pages.

By the end of the book it was clear that there would be a sequel, which I see has been published -- and is now on my reading list.

1 comment:

Nickname unavailable said...

Thanks for this recommendation, I don't think I would have picked it up otherwise, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.