Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Better Part of Darkness, by Kelly Gay

Time on airplanes leads me to unpredictable book choices. I'm not even sure how to categorize this one: paranormal'ish, fantasy, sci-fi; kind of aliens on Earth with a magical slant.

So I've set this up to explain away how I distracted myself during a flight with some crummy novel, right? But it wasn't! This was well written, interesting, suspenseful and a generally enjoyable read that even took two flights to complete (a big bang for the buck!). I do tend to enjoy books with a strong female hero (possibly due to years of having read "The Paper Bag Princess" to my kids), and that notion of female independence is strong in this novel.

I'm even planning to read the sequel. (Warning: there were a couple of moments that felt as though we were descending into romance literature; fortunately the author quickly raised the elevators and we returned to a safe altitude. Go figure.)

1 comment:

Grant Kessler said...

Munch's work certainly challenges the passive and compliant representation of women in children's literature.

And I couldn't help but think about the potential the The Paper Bag Princess holds for teaching measurement concepts as well!

I can just see Madeline now: "But Dad, can dragons really fly at 2,490 miles per second? Because Grandpa said that speed is distance over time, and the dragon made it around the Earth in 10 seconds... I mean, that's just too dangerous without a helmet and wrist guards!"