Saturday, January 22, 2011

Arts & Crafts Furniture Anyone Can Make, by David Thiel

I bought this book because I liked the looks of the Morris chair and bookcase on the cover.   Unfortunately, I didn't take the title seriously enough -- Mr Thiel really means it when he says anyone can make this stuff.  The approach that makes this true is a rough, unprofessional, inelegant construction technique.  I can't bring myself to do it.

On the other hand, I can adapt the nicer designs in his book to a more elegant approach, substituting mortise and tenon for pocket screws for example.   Still, I'm in no rush now to build these; I can find better plans elsewhere I'm sure. 

It isn't (just) snobbishness that causes my reaction:  I wouldn't be comfortable having someone sit in such a poorly built chair, and I'm not sure that heavy books wouldn't destroy the bookcase as designed.

No comments: