Monday, March 2, 2015

The Martian, by Andy Weir

Wow, this is an outstanding novel. The premise is that our hero (and primary narrator), Mark Watney, is on a team of astronauts that lands on Mars. An accident leads to the crew to leave, thinking Watney dead. But he's not.

Watney is a mix of Robinson Crusoe and MacGyver.  Here's a sample from the book:
"I'm stranded on Mars. I have no way to communicate with Hermes or Earth. Everyone thinks I'm dead. I'm in a Hab designed to last 31 days. If the Oxygenator breaks down, I'll suffocate. If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I'll die of thirst. If the Hab breaches, I'll just kind of explode. If none of those things happen, I'll eventually run out of food and starve to death. So yeah. I'm f----d." 
The genre is sci-fi because, well after all, the hero's stuck on Mars. But this is more a story of resilience, inventiveness, and attitude as much as anything else.

Highly recommended!

The Martian

No comments: