Thursday, July 17, 2008

Aligned Thinking, by Jim Steffen

I ran into Dr. Jim Steffen at an ECM user group event in New York City a few weeks ago. We chatted a bit about his book and my experience with my book and publisher. Much to my delight, returning from a business trip to my office a couple of weeks later I found that Jim graciously sent me a copy of his book.

Well, it's taken me some time to get to it, but I finally had some time this evening to read Aligned Thinking. I don't want to give too many details about the content here, because the style with which Jim conveys the approach works so well. Suffice it to say that Aligned Thinking provides a set of organizing and reframing techniques to help one achieve improved productivity, efficiency and - perhaps most important - attitude.

In particular for me the notion of reframing what I do in terms of my primary desires and associated necessary conditions was helpful.

The problem with a book like this is that - no matter how clear the messages, how obvious they may seem (after you've read them) - putting the techniques into practice requires commitment and effort. That is probably why Jim has a successful coaching practice, including an interesting and unusual concept of virtual coaching; more info at his web site.