Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices, by N. W. Walker

As mentioned previously, I was recently given a number of books on health. Which, with two down, I'm about to refer to as "quirky books on health."

This book makes pretty good sense, and, to net it out translates to a strong advocacy of carrot juice.

Like Walker's other book, there are some credibility concerns. Maybe it's just my engineering-style view of information, or my natural cynicism, but Walker's definition of enzymes is a good example for my squeamishness (page 3):

"...enzymes are not 'substances.' Enzymes are an intangible magnetic Cosmic Energy of Life Principle (not a substance) which is intimately involved in the action and activity of every atom in the human body, in vegetation, and in every form of life."

Okay then.

So there I was, imagining that enzymes are molecules that increase the rate of chemical reaction by lowering their activation energy. In other words, enzymes are catalysts for biological reactions.

Well, maybe that's what Walker meant.