Saturday, December 29, 2007

Phython Phrasebook, by Brad Dayley

As I noted in an earlier post, I've been teaching myself to program in Python.  I'd originally expressed only disdain for Python, on the grounds that a real programming language wouldn't rely on spacing as a scoping mechanism.  I was wrong.

It took a while for me to realize that I was wrong. It takes a while to overcome the prejudices of being a long-time C programmer.  I really like Python now, even more than Perl.

So to this book:  you'd expect that as a reference guide it would be something I'd refer to while programming yet not really read cover to cover.  Sort of a small version of the snake book (see my post on Python in a Nutshell).  But really, it is both.  A reference and a cover-to-cover read.

I picked this up on a whim while shopping at Borders and I'm glad I did.  It isn't a complete method for learning Python (but then again, neither is a purported learning book like Learning Python - yuck - for which my negative post will come later).   But it is a darned good start, a light read, and a great approach.  Phrases of programming are a perfect metaphor.