Friday, June 8, 2012

Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power, by Steve Coll

The good news:  this is a fascinating book.   Mr. Coll provides the character development and dramatic tension of a novel in this non-fiction "biography" of a massive public company.

The bad news:  no matter how interesting the writing and compelling the, well let's call it plot development, the fact of the matter is that I'm not sufficiently excited to invest my time in 624 pages about ExxonMobil in modern times.   I made it a bit past half-way and selectively skimmed the rest.

This makes my recommendation dicey.    On the one hand, I can enthusiastically recommend this for anyone who gets excited about a business biography, is particularly interested in the oil industry or in Exxon, and for the large population of readers who are far more patient than I.    On the other hand, it wasn't so fabulous, even after all the great characteristics I'm eager to share, as to get me to the finish line.

1 comment:

Nickname unavailable said...

Thx Carl, saw this and wondered about it.

A recommendation I have for you - Ready Player One. Written by a guy in Austin. Entertaining read.